At 1:36 am on Saturday morning I received a text message from my Mom asking if I had heard about the earthquake in Chile. I don't know what people did before the internet!! The first thing I did was go to Yahoo and check out all the information I could on the earthquake. The earthquake happened in Concepcion which is about 200 miles away from where my brother Brad is serving a mission for the LDS church.
After talking to my Mom (who by the way was extremely calm!) I felt peace too knowing the my brother was okay. The only thing they had heard was that all but two missionaries were accounted for.
I read every article, watched every video, and viewed every picture that was posted online. I can't even imagine what is going on down there right now. Definitely helps keep life in perspective and makes me want to go hug everyone of my loved ones!
I received the following email from my Dad this morning too for all of you who are wondering or who have been asking about Brad's safety:Dear Family and Friends,
Thank you for your inquiries to Brad’s safety in Chile. We had not heard anything from him until this morning. He called me on my cell phone from a church member’s home . He is fine and doing okay.
The little city of Llo Lleo which is right on the coast was basically leveled by the earthquake. His apartment was badly damaged and they cannot stay there so they are running in and getting things out and moving them to another apartment with other missionaries in another area. The missionaries are in full swing assisting with clean-up efforts and assisting wherever they can.
All he kept saying was boy do I have some videos you guys will want to see of things shaking. Leave it to Brad to be sure to get his camera first before running to safety!
Again, thank you for your inquiries and prayers for Brad and others in Chile.
Gregg and Pat Smith
I can't wait until we get to hear the full story from Brad's point of view I am sure it will be entertaining!!






2 comments:
Thanks for sharing the letter from your dad. Glad he is ok. I too think it's funny that he would go grab his camera to document, but I probably would do the same.
Thought you may be interested in this if you haven't seen it already:
http://ldsmag.com/churchupdate/100303chile.html
Post a Comment