Now for a little background before the story can continue. I could care less if my ears are pierced. Yeah its fun to have earrings to wear and I love buying new earrings that match outfits but if suddenly my holes closed up I probably wouldn't ever get them pierced again. I didn't get my ears pierced until I was 17 and only did then because I was in a performing group and part of our costume was earrings and if I didn't have my ears pierced I had to wear snap on ones...not happening...because of this I could care less if my daughters ever had their ears pierced.
Plus...now don't get me wrong here or call me a racist...but growing up the only kids/babies that had their ears pierced were Hispanic babies. So I never really thought about it before. Here in Utah I don't know what the deal is but EVERY baby has their ears pierced and if they don't then people are constantly asking and bugging you why you don't have them pierced...really annoying...Almost every one of Erika's cousins have their ears pierced so I could see why Erika felt left out.
Okay back to the story...so after dinner she informs us she wants her ears pierced. Fine...lets go do it...we were at the mall anyways. We go to the first place and they want $40 to pierce her ears...TAKE A HIKE! We finally found a cheap place to do it and Erika picked out her pink sparkly diamond earrings. Sat in the chair like a big girl and got her first ear done. Trent and I stare at each other in disbelief! No crying no screaming no nothing! She is sitting there smiling waiting to get the next ear done....fast forward 30 seconds...complete meltdown.
Kicking and screaming, flailing arms and legs, down on the floor covering the other un-pierced ear with her hand as tight as she can hold it.
We try to distract her by walking around and looking at other earrings she can get later...nothing works. Erika says she wants to have Lexi do it now instead of her. I give into the peer pressure and Alexis gets her ears pierced. She was a trooper. Let out a little squawk and was over it.Finally I sit in the chair, wrap my legs in a scissor kick type move around her legs so she can't kick the lady. I hold her arms down as best as I could. Our friend holds her arms down even more because I can't keep a tight grasp on her. Trent holds her head still. Insane...we probably looked like the worst parents on the face of the Earth but that girl was NOT leaving with only one ear pierced....not happening. Finally its done and over with and within seconds she is happy and laughing and showing everyone her pretty "diamond" earrings. I'm exhausted.
We are getting ready to leave and the lady at the store tells Erika that she loves her new earrings to which Erika replies "I hate you" I apologize to the lady..make Erika apologize to her as well (truth be told I would hate her too if she did it to me!) and we run out of the store. The good news was we weren't the worst case. She said that one kid kept biting her. At least my kid didn't draw blood!
Now everywhere we go Erika insists on showing everyone her pretty "diamonds" and is constantly asking me if its been 6 weeks yet so she can go buy butterfly and heart earrings with her birthday money. I'm glad I never have to do that again...






5 comments:
Hope you don't have to do it again... I do. Sophie wanted hers pierced when she was 3 or 4, everything was great for months and then she started getting CONSTANT infections. The poor girl finally begged me to let her holes close up and I did :( Someday she will want them pierced again, hopefully she will be big enough not to cry! They both look very cute with their earrings, makes me sad Sophie's aren't pierced anymore.
Soo funny! I dread doing this one day. my big girls really want theirs pierced, but dad says no.
Danielles daughter pretty much did the same thing as Erika, except she was 9 at the time.
How funny. I never thought I'd get my baby's ears pierced but this story is making me think maybe I will. Do it before she is strong enough to fight me off. I thought it was funny how your other post talked about Lexi's vampire fangs and then this post talked about thank heavens Erika didn't draw blood. I think there's a theme going on here...
Oh my!! HAHA "I hate you" LOL I just had to explain to my boyfriend why I was laughing at my computer. hehe Funny girl.
Emily,
Was searching for a GF's blog with similar name and came across yours. Started reading when you had your oldest dd's ears pierced which lead you to have your younger dd as well in hopes of convincing her. Very funny story.
What caught my eye was your comment about "...Here in Utah I don't know what the deal is but EVERY baby has their ears pierced." It is the same here in SC where I live. Maybe something in the water?
Our ped actually encouraged me with some tips for moms having their dd's ears pierced to do our dd early as an newborn/infant so we did.
Am now we did our dd early at six weeks and think you were a smart mommy for your persistence and negotiating skills albeit actually ending up with both girls ears pierced:) Don't know if you originally planned on your baby having them done, but she looks soO cute, how could you resist not doing them?
Our ped has some special care tips for newly pierced ears if your interested, then write me an e-mail.
Amy
amyswor@hotmail.com
Post a Comment