• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Friday, May 27, 2011

Failed

So it's official...I failed...and I failed BIG time (according to my doctor's and dietitian!)

That's right I failed my 3 hour glucose test. Bummer...big time bummer! I met with my OB doctor to review my results and then scheduled an appointment with a Gestational Diabetes Nurse & Diabetes Dietitian to go over plans for the rest of my pregnancy.

Remember how I was complaining about all my doctor's appointments that I have with my kidneys and pregnancy...well add another weekly appointment to that list!

I went yesterday and met with my new diabetes nurse. Apparently we are going to become best friends because not only do I have a weekly appointment with her from now on (until she says I don't have to that is) I have a weekly check in call. She went over what gestational diabetes is and how I am going to manage it. She scared me by saying that I can choose not to do anything they suggest it's totally up to me...but I might deliver a 15 - 20 pound baby! Yeah....I'll take your advice thanks! (By the way thanks for the nightmare last night about delivering a 1 year old!)

She educated me on my machine I will be using and when and how to use it. She had me prick my finger the wrong way and then another finger the right way to show me how I will tell if I am doing it right or not. The ones I have done right I can't feel a thing a few minutes later. The one I did wrong....so tender and painful! I thought finger pricking would be the pain of this whole things...turns out I was wrong because next I met with my dietitian.

We set out a strict meal plan to follow the next 5 days. I mean strict as in down to the exact carb, protien, fat combination as well as what times I need to be eating. I combine these timelines with pricking my finger 6 times a day to get a reading.

The good news is if I can stick to this plan and my levels stay in range I don't have to do insulin shots and I can become more flexibile with my meal plan and only have to prick my finger 4 times a day.

The bad news is that even if I do everything right and prick and eat what and when I am suppose to my body still might not cooperate and I will have to do insulin shots anyways.

More good news....women with gestational diabetes are more likely to have a c-section if they go full term and most of them go into labor early. So if I make it to 37 weeks they will be happy and most likely my doctor will induce me even earlier.

More bad news....I made my appointment with my diatician too early. I should have waited until after Memorial Day (or after my birthday for that matter!) No more sodas and no treats for me! I jokingly told her I wish I had waited to make the appointment until after my birthday and she told me "Go ahead and have normal days where you eat normal for one meal. Mark it in your journal that it was your birthday, family party, 4th of July whatever and go back to the meal plan the next day. We want you to live a normal life but just don't let it happen too often!" Of course after imagining having to give birth to a 15 pound baby I don't know if straying off the meal plan is something I want to do...even for one meal!

Erika is very interested in everything I am doing and is CONSTANTLY reminding me to make sure I take my "machine" with me! This morning before I could leave for work she asked me 3 times "Mom is your blood machine in your purse? Don't forget it" She was mad at me this morning because I did my morning prick before I woke her up so she didn't get to see it.

Oh yeah I also have to test my ketone levels daily to make sure my body is getting enough food for both me and the baby and producing enough energy to function properly. Just add it to the list of things to do everyday now!

So one day down...and I can do it!! I measured out my food for today and packed it in bags and I am set! I have the alarm set on my phone for different 2 hr and 2 1/2 hour intervals so in case I get busy my phone will remind me to do what I am suppose to.

6 comments:

Sean and Janet Eyring said...

Sorry to say that I was smiling while reading this post. And I have that exact blood glucose machine! It's not that pricking your fingers is all that hard, or painful, it's just a PAIN to do it all day long (and the breakdown of costing about $1.00 per strip isn't fun either!!!)
I hear you about the meal planning, and carb-counting too. But in the long run, just think, yours will go away, whereas for me....

Lawson Life said...

Oh my, I thought the glucose test itself was torture enough. So sorry you're dealing with this on top of everything else! I hope your body cooperates with your new meal plan and you don't have to do the insulin.

Lindsey said...

Seriously, I cannot believe all of your struggles lately! I am so sorry!! Someday you will read back on this blog and wonder how you survived! We have a time in our lives like that and I am always happy that it is behind us.

julie said...

So sorry to hear you failed the glucose test. I am very impressed with your doctor and all of the help and information you are getting. I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy and all I got was a pamplet. I must say that with watching my eating I didn't gain as much weight and he was one of my smallest babies. I have diabetes now and I agree with Sean that it' having to do it all day that is the pain in the tush. Always thinking about what you eat. Erika sounds like my grandson, he always watches me do my insulin shots and offers to do it to me. Hang in there, this too shall pass.

Anonymous said...

oh I am so sorry! I just had two friends who went through this. Let me know if I can help- babysitting, packing, whatever!

Josh and Michelle said...

OMG, I thought it would be bad to get GD, but I never thought it would be THAT bad! sorry, thats probably not very encouraging, so sorry that you have it. Erika is so cute, she seems so interested in everything, so great!