• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Glucose Test


Everytime I get pregnant I dread having to do the glucose test....dread it more than throwing up. I don't know what it is but I can't keep that stupid drink down. It's all I can do to gag it down...then keep it down for 1 hour. Almost immediately after having my blood drawn an hour later I make my way to the bathroom and throw up before heading home.

This pregnancy was no different. Dreaded the test and kept putting it off until my Dr's office called and stated that I needed to take the test that day so that they could have the results before my next appointment. FINE...I'll do it.

Went and took the test...this time I had to down the sugary orange drink in 3 minutes instead of 5...so gross...I was pretty sure the last swallow wasn't going to stay down but it did. I did the blood work and waited for the results. I was told that my point level was too high and that I had to come back and do the 3 hour test. I was given a piece of paper with a specific diet to follow for 3 days. It is a high carb diet with limited sugar intake...except for I am suppose to drink 2 cans of soda a day and have at least one milkshake...what? I don't drink that much soda and I don't have milkshakes on a daily basis! Starting at 9pm on Friday I have to fast and then go into the office at 9am on Saturday to start the test.

I guess I have to drink the same drink but DOUBLE the amount (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little) and then alternate getting blood drawn and giving urine samples at different 20 minute intervals throughout the 3 hours....AWESOME! I can't think of a better way to spend my Saturday! In fact if someone wants to pretend they are me and just do the test for me I will give you $20...

The lady who drew my blood on Monday said that a lot of the people who fail the 1 hour test pass the 3 hour test so not to worry about anything. At this point I could care less what I have...just add it to the list of health problems!! I just don't want to have to drink that stupid drink!!

5 comments:

Mark & Shalon said...

I know so many people that actually really enjoy that drink. I didn't hate it, but it was definitely way too surgary for me! Tastes like a melted Otter Pop, which I would have loved when I was younger. Good luck! Hope it's not too awful! And I hope everything is well health wise!

Josh and Michelle said...

Ugh I hate that nasty crap and gagging it down it 5 mins or whatever it was. The last 2 pregs I failed the first and then passed the 3 hour. Thats weird that they are having you do a special diet. I think the nurse at my DO told me not to have a lot of carbs or sugar the day before the test. anyways good luck I hope you dont have GD. I never have but It just seems like it would really suck.

Ashlie and Tony said...

I am so very sorry! I completely feel your pain. My Dr's office does the 1 hour and 2 hour glucose as standard practice...and I thought I was going to die both times. I didn't throw up, but had massive headaches and nausea for hours after drinking that crap. There has to be a better way to test for gestational diabetes, etc.

Melissa Tupou said...

The bannana pudding milkshakes from Chickfila are daaaang good by the way:)

Melissa Tupou said...

The bannana pudding milkshakes from Chickfila are daaaang good by the way:)