Lately it seems like things have been thrown at us that we weren't prepared for. Trent has been offered a position with a new company and he could potentially make almost $30k more than what we both make put together now. Now you might be thinking thats awesome take it! But its more than that. We made our pros and cons list and its amazing how one little con can out weigh like 10 pros.
Trent still hasn't talked to the main person in charge to get the exact details on the job but from what we heard I just don't know if its a good choice for our family. Its hard to make decisions like these and its times like this that make me wish I didn't have free agency and that the clear path would be laid out ahead of me!
For some reason though I just can't stop thinking about this opportunity. Yeah the money sounds awesome and even better that I get to be able to be a stay at home mom but money isn't everything. I kind of love my husband and love having him around even more and I think it would be really hard to be separated for long periods of time. Now if I was a stay at home mom we could head out to wherever his job is and just hang out with him for a week or so and then head back home that would help some. But still...thats one of those details that we need to find out about. Like is there a week break for every 4 weeks worked? Or do they get a certain amount of time off in between jobs? How long do jobs usually last? Oh the list of questions goes on and on. Here is what we have figured out so far:
*PROS*
1. Lots more money
2. Better HealthCare Benefits
3. Ability for Trent to move up in the company
4. I would be able to stay at home with Erika
5. Company provides a personal truck and gas card (And they are nice new trucks too!)
6. Paid vacation time and Holidays Off
7. On top of hourly wages earned he would get a per deim while away and since we all know that Trent doesn't ever spend money it would basically be more money in our pockets
8. Overtime is paid time and a half and they usually work at least 15 hours of overtime a week
9. We could be debt free sooner (Well except for the house but you know what I mean)
*CONS*
1. He would be traveling constantly and wouldn't be home with us very often
I have done my research on the company and they have been around for a long time and are well established. They are based out of California but also have field offices in Salt Lake City and Tuscon. So I guess now we just wait until Trent can talk to someone in charge there that can give him straight answers to our questions and then we can make a decision from there. For instance if the time off that he gets in between jobs and the length of jobs doesn't get him home for a least a couple days every couple weeks then I don't know if its worth it at all! Until we find out we will just continue our lives like normal!






8 comments:
Whoah! I don't envy making your decision for you....but good luck!
All I can say is my friend Anna has been married for 6 years to a guy with a job like that. He is ALWAYS out of town. And I would hate it! She is a stay at home mom and occassionaly she goes with him but going with him just means hanging out at the hotel by herself. He is exhausted when he comes home at night so he just goes to sleep right away. Not fun. No amount of money would be worth that for me. Does this mean you guys will move too? Or will you stay in SF?
that is a tough decision. it's not worth having more money when you don't have a husband to enjoy it with. my sil's husband has a REALLY good job, but he is gone every week and comes home on the weekends. she basically raises her 4 kids on her own. she HATES it, and so does her husband. it seems like there has to be great jobs out there that don't make you travel like that. but if he's only gone for a couple days at a time, that's different than an entire week. good luck!!
I've been there, and if you need to you could ask my friend shannon (west family on my blog) how she feels about having her husband gone all the time. Per Diem is nice, a little extra money, and it was fun to do some traveling with him, but for the most part I did hang out in the hotel and hope that he could get away at a decent time to go do something. I personally don't think the money is worth it, that is why we sold our house, so josh could change jobs and be home more. It isn't fun to be alone weeks on end, although the money would give you something to do, a.k.a shopping:)
Good luck guys, I say pray about it but that answer always frustrates me (even though it is the right thing to do!)
Hey there ok ok I finally got some stuff on my blog. Its not my fault though becuase our computor sucks and we have dial up connection so it has taken me forever to get things on there. But I think yours is so cute and I love all the stuff you have on here. Erika is getting so big and cute too! She seems like a sweet girl too Aurora on the other hand, she's kinda a bully. Anyways good luck with the decision and its definalty a tough call.
Ryan has been traveling a lot lately. In fact, he was out of town this week. I love my husband and hate it when he leaves, but you get used to it. I would find out more details about the traveling. I agree, you can't put a price tag on your time with your husband, but some of the other pros, like you being able to stay home with Erika (that one is priceless) and better medical benefits and a company vehicle and gas card (gas is expensive these days) and more paid vacation time (to spend with his family), in the long run it might be a better deal. And you'd be surprised how much money you save when the company is paying for his food and gas, etc, all week long. But that is a tough decision. There are pros and cons to both decisions. Good luck :)
Good luck on making the decision. Sometimes there isn't a wrong or right choice, huh which makes it harder. Staying at home is fun though.... :)
Post a Comment