• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

My Poor Little Baby

Early Monday morning (3:37 to be exact...I looked at the time on my phone!) Riley woke up screaming and was covered in throw up. I cleaned her up and put the blankets in the wash and put her back to bed. 30 minutes later she was up screaming again and had thrown up. We did the routine again and gave her a bath and put the blankets in the wash. When she threw up the third time moments later I just started making a pile of throw up stuff because I knew it was going to be a long night! By 8 am she had thrown up at least twice an hour. Sometimes even more often then that. I called the doctor and he wanted her checked out immediately.

By the time we got to the doctor's office she was completely lifeless and and pale and still throwing up. He sent us home with some medication to try and we were told to give her 1 tsp of liquid every ten minutes alternating between milk and pedialyte. We were suppose to do this for 3 hours and then call and give him an update.

After a couple hours she was keeping liquids down but was still lifeless. I called to give the report and the doctor wanted her to be admitted to the hospital. He said that with her being so little and the fact that she wasn't sitting up on her own or wanting to play or a little more active he was afraid something might be wrong. We quickly packed up and headed out. Trent took the girls to his Mom's and I headed to the hospital to get her admitted.

Once we got all checked in we had to wait for another nurse to come over to help do the iv. They mummy wrapped Riley up leaving only her right arm out. I was told to basically lay on top of her and hold her as still as possible. The other nurse held down her whole arm and the 2nd nurse did the iv. Poor Riley was whimpering and crying and thrashing around. Blood was dripping everywhere they couldn't get things done with her arms flying everywhere!


Once the iv was in Riley would NOT look at me. I would turn her around so I could see her face and she would flip her head around so not to see me. Don't think she was too happy with me.
Luckily she gave in and forgave me! They started her on one type of medication that basically pumped liquids into her system fast to help with hydration and then once that was done gave her a maintenance liquid for 10 hours.
She had to have so many wet diapers and her vitals had to improve before she could be sent home. When we got there her heart rate was really high and she wasn't getting enough oxygen so they came in to take vitals almost every hour during the night to make sure that her oxygen levels didn't dip down too low!
After a couple of hours on the iv she started to perk up a little. She would sit up and play. They brought in a bunch of toys for her to play with and she was in heaven.
She did not like that she couldn't use one of her hands and would use it as a bat almost! We called it her club! She would slam it down on things and get mad!
They had a toy you had to stand up to play with and she would get so mad because she couldn't use her one hand to grip the toy and stand up!
She also had fun climbing around in the cage of crib they had in the room. Talk about serious metal bars! Not an inviting place to sleep!
Trent and I took turns laying in the bed with her during the night.
I was glad when it was my turn to sleep on the recliner because there is nothing worse then being woken up by being hit in the face with a clubbed arm!

The next morning our pediatrician came over to check her out. He gave her the all clear to head home and boy were we glad to get out of the hospital! The night nurse was very nice and we received a TON of attention because we were the only person on the pediatrics floor so that was nice. When it came time to take off the iv I knew we were going to be in for a treat. Have you ever had an iv? You know how painful it is every time the tube gets hit. Well the day shift nurse was NOT so gentle at ripping off all the 40 pounds of tape on Riley's arm. I felt so bad for her! They had to use a ton of tape to tape down the iv and tubing and it was a nightmare to get off and she would just cry and stare at us like "Why are you letting them hurt me?".

When we got home all she wanted to do was be held and sleep. She was still pretty comatose and I would have to wake her up and force her to eat only to have her fall back to sleep immediately after. Erika was a big helper and would hold her while I made lunch and tried to get some things done around the house!
Last night she finally started perking up and smiling! We are glad to have our Riley back! We missed her!!

No comments: