• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Decisions ...Decisions ...Decisions...

In the matter of a few short days our lives have changed. Trent and I have been talking about our future a lot lately and what we are going to do. We had everything planned out perfectly but then a few things got thrown in our face and we had to deal with those and re-plan our future. As you know Trent has been going to school for the last year and a half at nights. Right now he is working on his generals for an associates and we figured that he could just keep going at nights so we could still have money coming in. When he got laid off a couple months ago we figured it was time for him to just go to school full time. We loaded up his schedule and signed him up for as many classes as he could possibly take. We figured out the budget and set our sights on the new plan. Everything seemed to be working out perfectly.

Then I got laid off. We sat down and figured out a budget AGAIN and made a new plan. This plan is going to stick though I can just feel it (3rd times a charm right?!?!)! After we figured things out it was almost like a weight lifted off our shoulders and the feeling that everything will work out came over me. Have you ever had a decision to make but just didn't have the guts to take the first step towards the decision for fear of what might happen?

Wednesday night we finally decided to put our house up for sale. We knew that we didn't want to live here forever and occasionally talked about moving but nothing serious and definitely not this soon...but the time is right. Once we can sell the house we will find something smaller to rent while Trent goes to school full time in order to finish school faster and decrease our monthly expenses. Here's hoping that the house actually sells in a decent amount of time! I'm not expecting it to sell in one day (don't get me wrong though that WOULD be nice!) but hopefully it won't take over a year to sell like our friends house did!

In January Trent will start his last semester at UVU and we will begin applying for schools and programs that he can finish and get a bachelor's degree from. After we figure out where he has been accepted we will be able to figure out where we will be for the next 2 years!

Thursday was a CRAZY insane day! There was financial aid forms to fill out, schools to contact, grants to apply for, storage units to seek out, projected monthly expenses to analyze, realtors to talk to, and most of all boxes to track down. The past couple days have also been filled with de-junking and boxing up our house. We are basically taking everything out of the house except for the bare necessities. That means just a couch, TV's , entertainment center, table, beds, and dressers. Everything else is outta here. Which means a lot of packing for me! I didn't realize how much junk we have! I now have three piles of junk...

1. Must get sold or taken to a thrift store because it's not coming with us
2. Junk we can live without for the next couple months but will need eventually
3. Junk we can live without for the next couple years if necessary

After some wheeling and dealing I was able to get a storage unit in town for $20 cheaper than anywhere else (yes I am pretty proud of myself!) and spent most of today taking trips back and forth loading it up....in between rain storms that is! I have probably filled 30 boxes and taken them out of the house and I barely have the basement done...not good!

So if you are trying to find us and can't get a hold of us and you are thinking "man those lazy bums...why don't they answer their phones its not like they have a job" well its cause we are in panic mode and we are trying to box up, clean, and beautify our home so we can get it up for sale in the next couple days...that's right folks I said DAYS. If all goes well and we get what the house is worth then we can use the money from the sale to live on for the next 2 - 3 years.

Selling our home now will also enable us to pick up and move as soon as Trent graduates to wherever he gets a job and then buy a house in that area. It seems like we are working backwards here sometimes. We got married and immediately moved into an almost 3000 sq foot 4 bedroom home. Then we decided to go back to school. Now we are selling our home and will be renting something probably 1/3 of that size but it is all for the best. Plus a smaller house means less cleaning...yesss! Plus it's easy to downsize when you know it's only temporary. Erika is super excited about moving and keeps telling me things that I need to remember to pack and take to the new house like her barbies, dress up clothes, kitchen, etc.

So far after all this work we have one room done...one room out of the 10 places that need to be done...yikes! I better get off the blog and get busy!!

6 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Ugh, that doesn't sound like fun at all. Packing up and moving. But good luck! Sorry to hear you both got laid off. I don't remember hearing about Trent getting laid off.

Anonymous said...

let me know if you need any help!

Ryan, Natalie and kids said...

Wow, that is a lot of decision making and change. I had no idea. Good luck and I hope it all goes as smoothly as possible!

Lindsey said...

Good luck selling the house, it can't possibly take as long as ours did!!! Things like this suck but I have always found that when you are able to look back you realize that it was for the best. You are very smart to box up the junk before listing, it makes it much easier to keep clean!! We are living with like 10% of our stuff right now while we are looking for a new place and I must say that I am wondering EVERY DAY why we live with so much junk?! My house stays so much cleaner, it is unbelievable...

Ashlie and Tony said...

Sounds like a lot of new beginnings on your horizon! The best of luck in getting that house sold, and moving on to your new plan! I see only good things coming your way, you already have so many blessings and I am sure you will have many more.
And I always vote for a move to California. :)

The Kelly Family said...

First of all, that is SO incredibly tacky and unprofessional to lay you off on vacation over the phone. WOW! No one deserves that, especially if you worked there for 8 years. I understand why they are going out of business, if that is there attitude. Anyways. Good luck selling your house. One thing I've learned is to never make a long term plan of the future. An outline is ok, but not a plan. Because Heavenly Father always changes our plans. And his plan is never the same as the plan you came up with, but in the end, it is usually a much better plan. Enjoy being a stay at home mom while Trent finishes school. And good luck cleaning out/dejunking.