• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Monday, September 21, 2009

Oh My Goodness

Today Alexis had a routine check up. Since we were in California for a month it has thrown off our schedule so instead of a 6 month check up she has a 7 month check up. Things didn't go so well at this check up...Alexis hasn't even gained 1lb in the last 2 months...not good. She should have gained at least 2lbs to stay in the 50th percentile for her age. She weighed in at a whopping 15lbs at 7 months old. Erika at 6 months old weighed 16lbs 5 ozs so we have some catching up to do. For the next two months I am suppose to make sure that she eats every 3 hours whether it be milk or solids. Plus to help beef her up she is suppose to have a couple ounces of watered down juice just to help with calorie intake.

It is kind of frustrating because I only feed her now when she is hungry and thought that it was enough...if she is hungry she will let me know, well obviously not. If she is happy and playing around and not fussy I don't force her to eat...well now I get to...oh yeah!

Also guess what time it is...flu shot time. The whole way to the doctors office Erika kept asking me if she had to get a shot today and I kept telling her no just Lexi. Then she would say "I don't have to get a shot today. It's okay" basically reassuring herself! The first thing out of the nurses mouth is "Looks like we have it down for both Alexis and Erika to get flu shots today" She looks at me with those big brown eyes of hers with a look of sheer terror and says "YOU PROMISED I DIDN'T HAVE TO GET A SHOT" whoops...my bad! Meltdown #1 follows.

So in walks the nurse for shot time and she notices that she has two band aids and starts flipping out saying "one of those is for me...I don't want a shot..." (Meltdown #2) The nurse asks her if she wants to go first and she says Lexi needs to go first. Lexi gets 5 shots...and is totally fine. Lets out a little howl and then is over it. Perfect baby. Then its Erika's turn and she starts freaking out and her arms and legs are going like crazy and it takes both me and the nurse to get her up on the little bed thing. Then I have to force her to lay down so she can get a shot in the leg and she still freaks out and is crying. Now I have Alexis in one arm and she is freaking out and crying because her sister is and I am basically laying on top of Erika so she will stop wiggling around. (Meltdown #3) She gets her shot and shoots up and says to the nurse in a screaming, crying voice "What the heck do you think you are doing" and starts bawling even more. The nurse leaves and then its up to me to get both of my children to calm down before we walk down the hall.

I get Erika off the bed and try to put her on the ground and it appears that the nurse accidentally gave her a paralyzing shot instead of the flu shot because Erika's legs turn to jello and she just crumbles to the ground crying that her leg hurt (my child is an EXTREME drama queen). We get calmed down and are getting things ready to go when she asks me "Where's Dad" all nice and calmly to which I reply "He is working we will see him later" Meltdown #4...I want my Dad....I want to see my Dad...I want to call Dad...Where is my Dad...

We finally get all calmed down AGAIN with the promises of getting a sticker at the front desk and that she can watch a movie when we get home. She remembers that her legs do in fact work and we walk down the hall to the desk where there are no more princess stickers. Only race cars and dinosaurs. Meltdown #5 happens and the nice lady behind the desk goes in the back and gets her these ugly pink stickers and even though this helps with the crying apparently Erika's legs are back to being jello. I have to pick her up and walk downstairs and to the parking lot carrying my purse, my 3 year old, and my 7 month old...wearing high heels. (I knew I shouldn't have worn a dress to work today!) Not a pretty sight...

Meltdown #6 then occurs once we are in the car and it clicks that Erika got a red bandaid while Alexis got a purple bandaid...oh no. She starts crying and says "Why do I have to have the stupid red one" oh brother...promises of a new bandaid once we get home are the only thing that will calm her down. She then starts to fall asleep and is whimpering like a little puppy dog. Poor girl. I know that her leg probably is hurting but now because of all the crying so is my head!

We are home now...I am exhausted...Alexis is asleep...and Erika is sobbing on the couch as she watches her movie. I am ready for a nap...The worst part about all of this is the doctor wants us to come back in a month and do it all over again for the Swine Flu vaccine...

8 comments:

The Fab 4 From Washington said...

Oh Emily you crack me up. You should write a book. You are living quite the exciting life. I hope you got a nap today! Sounds like you needed it. Hang in there.

Adrienne said...

bahahah. this is too funny. i'm sure it wasn't funny in the moment. i was waiting for meltdown #7 when YOU lost it. good mom. maddie doesn't have the problem alexis has. she's gaining weight just fine. my back and arms wish she would slow down!

Stephanie Salmon said...

There's got to be some kind of a trick for making kids think shots are cool. Although I've never heard of one....Maybe I'll invent it! Loved the post. Sorry about your crazy doctors visit. Good luck next month!

Lindsey said...

Oh man! This story reminds me of so many times of carrying Liv and dragging/carrying Liam out of a store or something, by the time I get out to the car I am sweating and feel like bawling myself! I am still laughing about what the heck are you doing- that is so funny. Don't worry about Alexis, when my kids become mobile they usually drop off their curve for a while with all the calories they are burning...

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

I think I cried a little reading that. Oh man, I have to remember that story for when she gets older!!

-mike

Mr. and Mrs. Smith said...

Sounds like a horrific day! Mike and I have those every so often haha! Wish I were there to help with all the drama! Hopefully you got that nap in! Your such a good mommy! Love you!

julie said...

I feel for you. David used to pass out when he got a shot or blood drawn.

julie said...

I feel for you. David used to pass out when he got a shot or blood drawn.