• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Um...Why Hello December

So Christmas is a week away...what the heck?! Seriously the last half of this year has just flown by. I figured it was time to update my blog before it was a month behind. For Thanksgiving this year we met my Dad's side of the family up at my aunts house in Logan. I know there are a lot of us that cram in her house but it is so much fun being all together under the same roof for a couple days!

The girls and I drove up with my parents on Tuesday. We left early to try and avoid the storm of the century. When we got about a mile away from their house it started snowing and blowing so hard that we couldn't see anything...I'm talking zero visibility. Kyle and I had to hang our heads out the windows just to make sure my Dad was driving on a road and not in the middle of some field! When we opened the car doors when we got there it was blowing so hard it about ripped the doors off and filled the car with snow instantly!

While we were up there we enjoyed eating...lots of eating...and games...and movie watching...and more eating! Here is a picture of Trent teaching all the little ones how to play uno.Of course there was a lot of sports watching as well. At one point it got so loud in the house you couldn't hear the tv! That is why Jake has his ear up to the tv!One day we went on a pretty drive up the canyon to visit the Elk Reserve. Once we got there it was so bitterly cold outside that we hurried and jumped out of the car to take a picture and then we took off! Of course we stopped on the way home though at the Aggie Creamery! It's never too cold for ice cream! Lexi has never been an ice cream girl but while we were there we shoved some in her mouth (yes I forced my child to eat ice cream!) and after that she wouldn't stop eating my ice cream!The kids were in heaven riding the snowmobiles around in the backyard. Mallory was nice enough to take Erika on ride after ride after ride!Jon & Julia got the adult tickets to go to the Aggie's Basketball game so we all went to that one night. It was fun to get out for a date night! On the big day the smells of yummy turkey and other delicious dishes filled the house all morning. By the time we were getting ready to eat everyone started to just gather around the kitchen island! It was pretty funny to see!Of course we took family pictures as well...Mike took it seriously when we said it would be a picture of us from only the waist up!On Friday afternoon my Mother received a call from her sister letting her know that Grandpa Fugal (her dad) had come home from the nursing home for Thanksgiving and decided that he didn't want to go back he wanted to stay home. The nurses were going to come over that afternoon and take him off all of his medication and let him pass away at home. My family packed up and decided to head down. After talking with my parents and realizing that this would be quite the process Trent and I decided that we would just stay one more day and then drive down on Saturday morning. Giving the girls one more day to play with their cousins...a decision I will always regret.

That night on Friday November 26th 2010 my Grandfather passed away peacefully with my parents by his side. My parents noted that just minutes after he was taken out of the home by the mortuary his Navy Clock went off playing the hymn of Anchors Away. What a fitting song for the situation. This world doesn't even realize what an amazing man that is gone from it. A man who was truly selfless and thought only of others. A man who saw humor and the positive in everything around him. He would have given you the shirt off his back if you needed it. I have been blessed to know both sides of my grandparents and have been able to grow up and be very close to them. I feel honored to be the granddaughter of such a wonderful man. He is a wonderful example to me and my family and will be forever missed.

I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day (2 Timothy 4:7-8)

My Grandpa fought a good fight and was a righteous man. With his last breath he was thanking people for coming to see him and letting them know how much he loved them. I have to admit its weird going over to my Grandparents house now. I expect to walk into the living room and see him sitting at his desk half asleep...going through the mail! I know he is in a better place and is no longer in pain but he will be missed.

God Be With You Grandpa Until We Meet Again...

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

So sorry about your grandpa. My grandma passed away this year and even though they have lived long happy lives, it is so hard to see them go.

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.