Last week while watching the news I heard the following story about how the New York Times had a story about a man that went by the nickname B. Virdot and during the depression he decided to help out those less fortunate than him for the Christmas Season. He put an ad in the paper telling people to send him a letter explaining their hardships to him and he would in turn send them a small gift. Most of these people would receive a letter back with $5 cash in it. This man passed away this year and while cleaning out his estate his family found all the letters that he had received over the years.
A family in Orem, Utah heard this story and wanted to keep the memory of B. Virdot alive. They opened up a PO Box and let the news station know that they wanted to repeat this tradition and share their wealth with those less fortunate. They let the news station know that they were sure that they would receive hundreds of thousands of letters and that there was no way they could help everyone but they would help out those whose stories touched them.
So that night I sat down and wrote a letter...a long letter...about every obstacle we have been faced with this past year. Every up and every down. I ended the letter saying this:
This year for Christmas we have really learned the true importance and reason for the season. It’s not the Christmas tree with presents overflowing underneath it. It is enjoying time with family and learning to appreciate the many blessings that we do have. We may not have much but we do have each other. Through this process we have helped our two precious little girls learn the importance of being grateful.
I sincerely appreciate the time you have taken out of your day to read my letter out of the many thousands I am sure you will receive. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and yours. My only wish is that someday we can repay the kindness to someone else in need.
I never in a million years expected to receive a response but every day I have gone to the mail in hopes that something would be there from B. Virdot. I knew that they would receive thousands of letters and many of those would be from people in far worse conditions then we are. Tonight we got the mail and we had the following letter in it:
Merry Christmas! We are so glad you chose to write to us. We hope this small gift will lighten your burden both physically and emotionally this holiday season. Please know that we felt a real closeness to you when reading your story and pray that you will be blessed by the TRUE giver of all good gifts.
Your New Friends,
B. Virdot & Family
Inside the letter was a one hundred dollar bill!! I couldn't stop bawling as I read the letter and felt a true expression of gratitude to this complete stranger that was willing to help us (and others like us) during this Christmas season. I was seriously expecting $5 if we did hear back from them...but hey it would have been $5 more than we currently have!!
We know that we have been blessed by the TRUE giver of gifts this year and throughout our whole lives. It takes going through a hardship to open up your eyes and realize just how much you have been blessed with.
Erika asked if we were going to use the money to buy a car...to which I replied..."No we are going to use it to pay off the car we already have!"
Merry Christmas to everyone and may we all remember the true reason for the season and all the celebrations. We love you all!






8 comments:
That is so awesome to hear of people who are so kind and generous. I didn't know you guys were hurting that bad either! Hopefully you have a wonderful Christmas.
Oh Emily...I have tears in my eyes as I read your post. That is so awesome. We sure love you guys and are grateful that you are apart of our family. Merry Christmas!
We have had blessings like that at Christmas time during the years that Jake didn't have a steady job. You will never forget the kindness and always hope to be able to return the favor to someone struggling :) Merry Christmas!
wow! Amazing!!
What an amazing story! So cool and it was neat to read your letters. What a good reminder about what the season truly is about. Thanks for sharing.
I'm teary eyed now. How great!
I don't know why that says Jane. It's really Kristie Carlson:)
I know I am ridiculously behind in commenting on this post but Emily I just want you to know how much I admire you and your family. You amaze me and are truly such an example to me in so many ways.
I hope you know I love you. You're amazing!
Post a Comment