• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Food Storage

Trent and I have been trying to build up our food storage...slowly...but surely! When my parents were here in July they took us on a huge Costco shopping trip to help us get started with alot of the basics. There really is no reason for us not to have a food storage because we have plenty of storage at our house. Not to mention that we only use about 1/2 of our pantry and that all of our food is way spaced out at that!I have been watching the ads, reading up in the Sunday newspaper and always keeping my eye out for good deals so that I can buy a few cans here and there or whatever. One thing that we go through like crazy is Cream of Chicken soup and it hardly ever goes on sale...at a good price! The Campbell's brand I can usually get like 3 or 4 for $5 if I am lucky and thats still over $1 a can. Well in reviewing ads I found out that Albertson's was having a sale on them for 20 for $10.00...AWESOME...even better though...I had a coupon for $1.00 off when you buy 10 and there was no limit on how many times you could use the coupon...even better! So I bought a couple..ahem..cases...What I told you we go through it alot! Plus it doesn't expire until 2011 so we've got a good 3 years to use it all. So if we end up being in a state of emergency there will be no nasty tasteless plain rice being eaten at our house!

Speaking of food...I totally need to get back into the groove of cooking! I think my biggest problem is actually thinking of something to cook. So I am creating a monthly calendar of meals so that when I do my weekly shopping I know exactly what to get and when I get home from work I just check out the calendar and start cooking! Lately I have been trying to branch out and cook new recipes and its actually kind of nice! Trent and I are both kind of picky so not many recipes appeal to either of us! I did cook Chicken Broccoli Divan and it was super easy and super good...don't know why I haven't tried it before! Last night I made Easy Chicken Pot Pie with Trent's Mom's recipe and it turned out pretty tasty! I've had it before but never actually cooked it myself! So if you have any easy good recipes feel free to send them my way! As long as they don't contain anything weird or too many veggies we should be good!

2 comments:

Josh and Michelle said...

I love chicken Divan! so good! I have a good easy recipe for a chicken salad I will get to you.
You are so good to do food storage. we dont have any yet. I think my MIL really wants me to start collecting so that she doesnt have to feed my family in the case of a disaster. One day I will get it together.

Jill said...

Emily there is a web site called grocerysmarts.com and you can print out all kinds of coupons and they have lists of Albertson, Smiths, Lins, Wal-mart, and lots of others that you can print out that tell you the sale items of each store. Then it tells you how much it costs if you buy it on sale with a coupon and you can get some pretty cheap stuff. It's great for building up your food storage. I am going to get 4 boxes of cereal for 25 cent each. Anyhow you have to have a code to get the lists and I need to look it up so if you want it just let me know. I hope things are going well for you.