• Home Tag
  • Familia Tag
  • Amigos Tag
  • Crafty Tag
  • Recipes Tag
  • Contact Me tag

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Health Update

Over the last 4 months I have had a dr.s appt, procedure, or surgery every week. No offense...but I am really starting to hate the medical profession. My body is a wreck and definitely needs a break from being abused. I had my 1st lithotripsy done right after having Riley and went in a month later for an x-ray to see if all the fragments had gone out. Well all the fragments were out but there were 4 new stones in my kidney. So we scheduled another lithotripsy to get both sides done again in October. My doctor gave me a copy of my x-ray so I could see what my kidneys looked like. He showed me the difference in my kidney that had just been through lithotripsy and one that hadn't. My lithotripsy kidney was a dark color and looked extremely bruised. No wonder my insides hurt!

I ended up getting a double lithotripsy and stent placement. For a small moment I was kidney stone free and it felt good. I am sure they have built up again by now but it was a good feeling knowing that for a little while I didn't have to worry about a random middle of the night attack. Once again I had blood work and urinalysis' done but I am not very optimistic that they will find anything. There is a guy in my home ward that gets them more often than I do and everytime we see each other we wonder why between the two of us they haven't figured out a cure for us!

Next up was dealing with my growth on my cervix. I went in one week and had a biopsy taken. Not fun to have a chunk of skin taken from your cervix. Painful actually! And it got worse. I went in the following week and found out that it was a severe case of dysplasia. I was very relieved to find out it wasn't cancer. I was told that with the LEEP procedure they would be doing I would be unable to get on birth control until my cervix had healed and that my chances of getting pregnant again went down 50%. So I got good news and then got hit by bad news. I had to keep telling myself that at least it wasn't cancer! A lot of tears were shed that night because I was not ready to hear that and I didn't want to be done having babies. Trent was very reassuring and told me that we should be grateful that we do have 3 beautiful children so if that is all we get at least we were able to have some kids of our own.

So back to the procedure. Before they could do the LEEP they had to numb my cervix. My dr told me to try and relax it would just feel like 5 bee stings and then the pain would be over. Yeah okay Dr Man...5 bee stings...in my cervix?!? It was horrible but I kept telling myself that just a few more pokes and then it would all be worth it. They leave me a while to let the numbing start and then come back in to start the procedure. They took about 2 inches off the top of my cervix and then had to cauterize the area so that it would stop bleeding. Apparently the numbing didn't work cause I felt EVERYTHING. I was sobbing...like my body was shaking and I had tears running down my face. I have never cried that hard! There was a nurse that came in to kind of hold me down and hold my hand. By the time the procedure was over and I let go of her hand she had fingernail marks in her hand...sorry nurse! I can't even begin to explain how painful it was. Definitely worse than kidney stones. They couldn't get the bleeding to stop either so it took a while to get it burned so it would stop. By the time it was over one of the nurses brought me in a soda and a candy bar...she said I deserved a treat after that!

I was put on pelvic rest for 3 weeks which would mean that I would be off pelvic rest two days into the cruise...WOHOO! I had some heavy bleeding and they told me to be on bed rest for the next 3 days (yeah right...with 3 kids at home) The following week I went in and got checked and he told me it wasn't healing as fast as it should and that I would need to extend the pelvic rest until after Thanksgiving. I wanted to punch him in the face. He told me that from checking me there would be some light bleeding. There was some light bleeding the first day but it got worse and worse everyday that by the time the weekend came I was bleeding so bad that I couldn't leave the house. I also had huge clots the size of golf balls that I was passing.  The doctor told me to go to the emergency room but I didn't want to have to pay for it so I decided to just lay down and not get up for 24 hours and see if that would help. If it was still bad then I would go in. It worked and the bleeding went way down. So Monday morning I was back up and doing things like normal and the heavy bleeding started again. I freaked out because I thought I would have to have the burning done again to get the bleeding to stop. Turns out it was just my body freaking out from giving birth, getting the LEEP procedure done, and then going on birth control. The dr said that in one week my cervix had healed completely and looked amazing (in her words!) and I was officially off pelvic rest! It was about time to get some good news! Now I just have to go in every 6 months to get a Pap smear to make sure nothing has come back.


I am taking a break now from drs. No more for me! Now my body can really get back on the mend. It has been a rough maternity leave and definitely not relaxing! Hence the lack of blogging in the last 4 months!


A big thank you to my amazing husband who took off more days from work than I can count to be by my side while I went through all this. Being there to talk to when the bad news came and when I felt like I couldn't handle anymore. Holding my hand through the pain and being my nurse and taking care of the girls when I couldn't move.

Thank you to all the family, friends, ward members, and strangers who helped out with the girls. I couldn't have done it without you guys either. The girl who worked at the front desk at my Gynecologists would take Riley for me everytime I had an appointment. People who brought dinners and just called to check in and see how I was doing.

Now on to happy posts and time for the holidays!!

No comments: