Wondering what I am talking about? Then you have never heard how our first child, Erika Paige, got her name. I think we were still in shock that we were actually going to be parents that the fact that we actually had to NAME the child coming into the world totally slipped our minds. We showed up to the hospital with a Baby Name book and Trent read out names to me while I was in labor. If we both liked a name we wrote it down.
Two days later the nurse walked into our room and stated that we had to pick a name for Baby Girl Davies before she left the hospital that day. No pressure.
We took out our list and decided that we would each write down three names (or maybe it was two...I really can't remember) and then fold them up and stick them in a hat and then pick. As we were writing down our name choices I looked up at him and said "What if we both write down the same name as one of our choices...shouldn't we just go with that one instead of picking one out of a hat?" We agreed and come to find out we both wrote down Erika as a choice so we had the first name done...now for a middle name.
We each wrote down names we liked and this time we DID put them in a hat and drew out the name Paige. Baby Girl Davies finally had a name with hours to spare!
For baby number 2 we wised up a little. We started thinking of names about 3 months before the little one was born. I would keep a pad of paper next to the bed and in my purse and as I heard or saw names I liked I would write them down. Every couple days I would bounce name ideas off of Trent. One day I saw the name Alexis somewhere and told Trent about it. I knew he had an ex-girlfriend named that but I could honestly care less. I had never met the girl and I was married to him now! Plus if we played that game and didn't copy any names from friends, family, etc we would be out of names! So the first name was picked before we even got to the hospital. The middle name was a little bit harder. We spent weeks bouncing names off each other. Every time we went to one of Trent's basketball games I would sit and talk to the other wives and listen to all their name ideas. To tell you the truth I don't even remember where we finally got the middle name from but we decided on the name Alexis Kamryn and we weren't even at the hospital yet...SCORE!
It's alot of pressure naming a child. Lot's of people have a list of names they have had since they were little for their future children...not me. Also, I am not one of those people that get all secretive when it comes to names. When we figure out a name you will know. I could care less who knows it and if you are pregnant and due before me and steal my name...WHO CARES! I probably stole the name from someone else! Oh and rant #3...don't expect anything wacky or super random from us. We like normal names...spelled normal...nothing fancy with 18 extra vowels in it.So this morning I got to work and busted out a pad of paper and began my name list. I know we don't know the gender yet but it never hurts to have a list for both. Plus we find out next week what the little munchkin is and I highly doubt we will find a name by then!






4 comments:
you crack me up! I will admit, I am the secretive parent. mostly because I have observed that people are more critical of names before there is a cute baby attached to it, and so I didn't want people spoiling my choices with weird associations or weird future nicknames. But maybe I get a little too worried about everyone elses opionions. I'm always amazed by people that can name their baby and call them that the whole pregnancy, I can never make up my mind! I have to have pressure to make a decision.
You and Brandon must be friends, because you have all the same rules. We struggled to pick our kids names. Although he won't even talk about it until we knew their genders because it was a waste of time to talk about boy names if it was a girl. We're excited for you guys and #3!
I can't wait to find out the gender! I'm guessing BOY!
I cant belive you didnt have a name picked out before Erika was born. we always start figuring it out as soon as we find out we are preggers. We have such a hard time agreeing on a name, we need lots of time to hash it out. We go through the name book and write down any name that either of us likes and then we go through it again and pretty much cross out all of each others names. Its amazing we ever come to an agreement.
Post a Comment